Panchakarma is the ultimate mind-body healing experience that detoxifying the body, strengthening the immune system, and restores balance and well-being.
Pancha means “Five” and Karma means “Action “thus Panchkarma is a set of “Five Cleansing actions”which are:-
- Vamana-(Therapeutic Vomiting)
- Virechana--(Therapeutic Purging)
- Basti-(Therapeutic Enema)
- Nasya-(Sinus Cleansing)
- Raktamokshana-(Blood Letting)
These are natural, safe, gentle, scientifically proven cleansing procedures that eliminate stored toxins and ignite the body's self- healing ability.
These are 5 profound Ayurvedic Cleansing treatments that thoroughly cleanse the entire system at Cellular levels. These Cleansing procedures use natural gateways of the body to eliminate toxins thru natural urges of body.
These comprehensive procedures detoxify the organs like Liver, Gall Bladder, Colon, Sinuses at a deeper level and help us to attain a Physiological balance. It not only cleanses the body but also the mind as well by help us to release emotional toxins thus enhances our peak performance.
These are recommended on a seasonal basis, as well as when an individual feels out of balance or experiences illness.
Necessity of Panchkarma?
According to Ayurveda our body produces "Ama" is a sticky, toxic residue created from undigested food particles and other waste materials when our digestive powers are weak. Accumulation of ama in our cells and tissues is considered the underlying cause of disease and illness. Ama clogs the body's circulation channels, preventing the healthy flow of energy and information throughout the system.
Nasya: (Duration: 7 days)
Nasya is one of the five effective Ayurvedic purification therapies for nasal cleansing. The Word Nasya denotes to the Nostrils (Nose).
Nasya is completely safe and extremely effective panchkarma therapy. In Nasya the medicine is instilled in the nostrils for its rapid absorption into the mucous membranes of the nasal passages. The active herbal ingredients are absorbed much faster when instilled through the nasal passage than taken orally.
There are various type of Nasya classified based on Medicine used for Nasya.
Best time to do Nasya is in the morning and strictly avoided immediately after food.
Nasya therapy is not only used for cleansing the Sinuses but also for varied number of ailments. It helps to clear and lubricate the sinus passageways, relieving acute and chronic sinus problems such as allergies, mucous congestion, dry nasal passage, and snoring. Nasya also helps to relieve headaches, migraines, stiff neck, fatigue, insomnia, and stress related problems. It reduces anxiety, clears and strengthens the mind, and stimulates the nervous system.
Simple 7 Step Procedure to perform Nasya Treatment:
- Face massage using a Specific medicated Oil to loosen the mucous and the toxins
- Steam inhalation-(Swedana) to provide the necessary heat to open the sinus passages and to melt the toxins or Mucus
- To administer the medicated oil with a dropper recommended by physician. This is easiest if you are lying on a bed with your head hanging off the side to tilt your head back.
- Remain with the head tilted back for a few minutes to allow the oil to penetrate fully followed by Medicated Smoke inhalation (Dhooma) to removes the stickiness of mucus so that it’s easier to remove.
- Soon it will feel like need to blow your nose. This may seem a little unappealing at first, but it is essential and in time it will feel more natural.
- Within 20 minutes all mucous, toxins, and extra oil will be expelled.
- After Nasya therapy avoid exposure to cold and wind, and do not wet the head for at least 30 minutes after treatment and follow physician’s advice.
Virechana (10 days detox Therapy)
Virechana or Purging is a powerful yet safe & scientific method of cleansing the Digestive system. It is process of eliminating the Toxins through purgation. Over centuries, Purging has been an important purification method to remove toxins from Gut. Even today it’s been used as an important aid to remove ingested poisons & Toxins.
Virechana is a comprehensive purification method. The Uniqueness of Virechana is, it cleanses the whole Digestive system including impurities in Liver, stomach, intestines & Colon. Unlike Enema & Colon cleansing which only cleanses the colon & rectum.
3 Steps of virechana:
- 1. Purva Karma
- Pre Detox Procedures(Preparatory)
- 2. Pradhan karma
- 3. Pashchyat Karma
- Post Detox(Restoration)
It involves 3 Phases: each phase last for 3 days
- Digestive & Liver Cleansing Phase
- Ghee Drinking (Dislodging the Toxins & Lubrication the Gut)
- Abhyangam (Bringing the Toxins from all over the body to Gut)
On the detox day, person has to come on an empty stomach early in the morning for Detoxification. The process starts with Abhyangam (full Body massage) which enables to loosen & bring left over toxins to the Gut. After which Ayurvedic physician will observe all the important Vital Signs & then prescribe the Herbal Cleanser, to be consumed orally based on individual’s Dosha & health condition. Herbal Cleanser is a combination of freshly prepared herbs, Plant fibre and plants derived oils.
Eating Light Soft Diet and restoring back healthy gut flora.
Basti ( Duration 8 days)
Basti is a therapeutic treatment in which medicated oils and herbal preparations are introduced into the rectum for the purpose of flushing toxins from the intestinal tract. The procedure’s name comes from ancient times, when healers used the sterilized bladders or “bastis” (in Sanskrit) of animals to contain and apply the treatment oils.
Bastis are not just enemas but offer many more therapeutic benefits than simply cleansing the colon. Medication administered intra rectal can absorb in the deeper tissues thru recal veins thus basti is beneficial not only colon related conditions but also arthritis, back pain & nervous disorders.
It’s also an effective treatment for most digestive disorders, including constipation, spastic colon, indigestion and helps restore health and well-being.
In ayurveda, there are various different types of bastis based on ingredient used for basti. But most common is Oil or Herbal Decoction basti.